A well-camouflaged copperhead discovered while clearing a blow down. (Photo: Joe P.)
From: Joe Parrish
Date: Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: Hazardous conditions likely following wind events
Hi again all,
I wanted to follow up, add a few items that bear mentioning and reiterate my offer to help with the clean-up. I've been on the Trail with a saw three days so far this week and I consider that a very good week.
It's worth repeating that we should only saw with current current Sawyer, CPR and First certifications, never saw alone, always wear the correct PPE (including long sleeve shirts) and always have a sawyer first aid kit immediately on hand (i.e. one for each saw squad).
Having a length of sturdy rope can allow us to, from a safer distance, pull down loose stuff that's risky to buck down.
Make sure to bring plenty of water and pace yourselves in this heat. We're not used to clearing significant amounts of trees in this weather since that usually takes place in the early spring.
Be aware of how tired you are and take breaks as needed. Accidents are more likely to happen when we're tired, especially later in the day.
Be on the lookout for flora and fauna that might cause an adverse reaction.
This last bit of wisdom was brought home to yours truly on Wednesday as I worked with RATC to clear the section between McAfee and Tinker Cliffs. I was moving the off-trail portion of a just-bucked log to gain access to a concealed limb that was keeping us from flipping the rest of the log off the Trail. As I moved the log, I saw motion near my hand from the corner of my eye. Focusing on the motion revealed a pinkish and grey hourglass pattern sliding by my hand which was enough of a visual cue for me to hollar "snake" then "copperhead" and point for my fellow sawyers' benefit while backing quickly away. We still had a log to buck and didn't want to hurt the snake or be hurt by the snake. I used a stick to pry up the log I had been moving to reveal the snake in the position shown in the photo. Having just seen the pattern, I saw him (her?) easily, but it was amazing how long it took the other sawyers to see him. Testament to the effectiveness of the camouflage.
To finish the story, once we had the log moved (at left in photo), the limb accessible (just below the cut face at right) and the location of the snake known, I proceeded to cut the limb while watching the snake for reaction. The snake didn't seem to like the vibration of the saw but didn't move from its coiled position. We tossed the lower log off the Trail, said our good-bys to the snake and headed for the next blow down. The snake was in the same spot when we walked by on our way back to the truck about an hour later.
Copperheads are not aggressive, but will defend themselves if they feel threatened. Fortunately for me, this one chose flight initially and I was able to see him before he made his stand.
Be safe out there,
Joe
Joe Parrish
Regional Trail Resources Manager
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
110 Southpark Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment