A view from Humpback Mountain as seen by volunteer maintainer
sawyers on a work trip to keep the Appalachian Trail clear.
(Photo: Dave W.)
Andy Thompson has a good article in the Richmond Times Dispatch today (see link below) that details the history of how the Appalachian Trail came to exist. Two of the things that strike him when he hikes a section of AT are "the sheer scope of the effort it was to create it" and "the idea that figuratively, I could look one way toward Georgia and the other toward Maine". While the volunteer effort that originally hacked the trail out of the woods is a testament to dedicated and inspired people and an incredible amount of hard work, and the scope of the AT itself is breathtaking and a marvelous thing, I would like to expand on his thoughts and say that the AT required and continues to require something far beyond its creation. That 'something' is the effort it takes to keep the AT open and in good shape for hikers to continue to enjoy.
I suspect large numbers of the hiking public give little thought to the 'nitty gritty' of the trail, either how it was built (a common misconception is that it was an old 'Indian path') or the fact that 'somebody' needs to keep the trail in hiking condition and exactly who those 'somebodys' are. I was on the AT one day during weed season and weed whipping away with a swing blade when a group of hikers came by. One of them, a very nice lady, kindly asked me "How much is the government paying you to do this?" She was absolutely serious and sincere with that question and she was totally amazed when I answered "I am being paid nothing ..... you are on the Appalachian Trail which is maintained by volunteers!"
As a section maintainer, I know that I get very focused on the trail that I maintain .... either on the specific section or the 19.1 miles that is the club's responsibility. On the 75th birthday of the AT, it's a good opportunity to take a moment or two and think about the big picture .... the huge undertaking we are a part of as volunteer trail maintainers, that of maintaining an extensive trail that runs from Georgia to Maine . Up and down the 2,000 plus miles of trail, other folks are also getting out on the trail and doing what we are doing from Rockfish Gap to Reeds Gap on our club work trips the third Saturday of every month and on countless individual trips to maintain our sections. Collectively, these seemingly small efforts on a local basis add up to something that is really special ....... the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. As magnificent as the "simple path" itself might be with all its wonders, its true 'heart' lies in every single volunteer maintainer who works so hard to keep the Appalachian Trail alive. ~ Merlot
No comments:
Post a Comment