Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Day's Work: Whopper Rocks & Water Bars (Sec. 1 & 2)


Naughty Girl Creek


Our crew went in at Rockfish Gap and we rehabbed and/or rebuilt 22 water bars on Section 1 and built 3 new water bars. I flagged a few more that need to be installed.

 Working on water bars.
 
Lunch along the rock steps at Naughty Girl Creek


We ate lunch at Naughty Girl Creek and then started roguing out rocks (I would guess 25+) that could be removed with a pick mattock. I knew there were at least 2 'large' rocks in the center of the trail on Section 2 that could not be removed without at least 3 people and a rock bar. It took longer than I thought, but they were whoppers and we were able to remove the 2 biggest ones.


Big Rock #1

Digging and prying ......
 

The trail tread .... minus Big Rock #1


Starting to work on Big Rock #2
 

Beginning to look like a rock 'iceberg' ..... lots more rock below the surface than showing on top.
 

The thrill of victory!


The crew with Big Rock #2 .... what a whopper!
 

Beautifully restored trail tread (you can see Big Rock #2 on the downhill side)


On the way out I noticed some smaller rocks on Section 2 and Section 1 that still need to be removed. We also removed a huge stump that we rebuilt the trail around on Section 2 - I think the tree blew down during Hurricane Fran, so it was rather sad to say good bye to that forest dweller that I had walked around for the past 20 years.... may it rest in piece (get it?) below the trail. We didn't get to Section 3.  Lee, Ed and Christina are wonderful. ~ Jim S. (Crew leader)


(Photo credit: All photos by Christina W.)



No comments:

Post a Comment