*Our intrepid sawyer crew & Big Tree (Photo: Dave W.)
On the April work trip, Richard W and I were tasked with removing the infamous "Big Tree", approximately 70+ feet in length and over 36" diameter at its base, that had fallen over a switch back on the back side of Humpback near Bear Springs. We don't shy away from a challenge, so we started up the trail with a chainsaw (20" bar), hand saws, multiple wedges, axe, rope and a come-along. We also had some very good help from other trail club maintainers and one nervous trail maintenance supervisor!
I enjoy chainsaw work and the pleasant odor of bar oil, wood chips and sawdust, but this time a most foul odor surrounded the area. I thought the tree was a red oak but the smell was more like a sewer line. As I finished the cut, the branch fell to the ground, and out rolled a dead 3-4 foot long black snake ...... of course decomposing! What a surprise! I have been a trail maintainer for almost 20 years....plenty of LIVE critters, bees, timber rattlers, etc. but nothing like this. We can only speculate that the snake had gone up the tree when standing to get to a nest of some kind and was done in when the big guy came down. In any event, we gave him a proper woodland burial! Ed P
Big Tree is off the AT! (Photo: Dave W.)
The stump end of Big Tree where it split off (Photo: Dave W.)
If you really, really, really want to see the dead snake, scroll on down .................
3 .... proceed at your own risk!!!
2 .... you've been warned!!
1 .......here it is!
How unlucky can a snake get? Minding its own business, checking out a tree &
the darn thing decides to come crashing down at that very moment & voila
.....'Snake Surprise'. Bummer!
(Photo: Dave W.)
(Photo: Dave W.)




No comments:
Post a Comment