Little Raven's Roost Overlook on Sec. 10.
Years ago, I was the Section Maintainer for this section which was "my spot" on the RtoR AT. I have a new 'my spot' to maintain, but Sec. 10 and this overlook remains one of my favorite places on any trail. ~ Merlot
Years ago, I was the Section Maintainer for this section which was "my spot" on the RtoR AT. I have a new 'my spot' to maintain, but Sec. 10 and this overlook remains one of my favorite places on any trail. ~ Merlot
"It's funny how when you spend time in a place... When you love a place... It starts feeling like it belongs to you. You feel responsible for it. You take ownership of it."
I posted a link to this blog 'Writer in the Wild' and his post on "Find Your Spot" on the Rockfish to Reeds Facebook Page earlier this week. Since many folks are not on FB, I felt compelled to post this to the R to R blog as well. The words quoted above and the thoughts he posted have stayed on my mind for days now because they sum up so beautifully what happens when you are an AT Section Maintainer. You learn your section, you know your section ... rocks, trees, wildlife, 'personality' (yes, each section has its own personality), and unless you have a heart of stone, you become very, very fond of it. Actually, I have fallen in love with the sections I've maintained and even though I don't maintain Section 10 any more, I really miss working on it and any time I can be on it is like 'coming home'.
Here's a question for you ....... would you like to "find your spot?"
We are currently looking for Section Maintainers for several sections on the R to R section of AT (including Sec. 10 & Little Raven's Roost). Yes, there are specific responsibilities and work involved, but the rewards and satisfactions are many. The 'open' sections are listed below and if you are interested in Section Maintaining, contact the Trail Maintenance Supervisor:
Sec. 06 - 1.4 miles (northern AT
intersection with Howardsville Turnpike
to Bear Spring) (needs maintainer(s))
To see any pictures of these Sections, go to this link and click on the Section Number:
To contact the Trail Maintenance Supervisor:
Another view from Little Raven's Roost.
If you have found your spot, either while maintaining or hiking, let us know ... either in the comments below or on the RtoR FB Page comments for the 'Find Your Spot' post (see tabs for 'RtoR on Facebook' link).
(Thanks to Dave W. for these beautiful photos of Little Raven's Roost)
♦ ♦ ♦
Three ways
to 'follow' the RtoR Blog so you don't miss a post:
Email (sign up directly under the pageview number in the right sidebar)
Readers (subscribe directly under the email signup)
Facebook ("Like" the RtoR FB Page - see tabs at top of blog for FB link)
Email (sign up directly under the pageview number in the right sidebar)
Readers (subscribe directly under the email signup)
Facebook ("Like" the RtoR FB Page - see tabs at top of blog for FB link)
![Little Raven's Roost 2 [DW]](http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8504/8326370857_9df52c15ba.jpg)
![Little Raven's Roost 3 [DW]](http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8071/8326370763_04b689a746_n.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment